Chitogel: The Natural Choice for Postoperative Care.
Gel Combination Instructions
The Gel preparation and setting time will take approximately 20 minutes, so preparation must start sufficiently in advance of when the Gel is expected to be used in surgery.
3-Step Gel Preparation
- The kit will make 20ml of gel, enough to fill both sides
- Gel preparation takes 20 minutes, and should be applied within 1 hour of mixing
Step 1: PREPARATION
- Pour sodium phosphate (A) into dextran (B), and shake for 20 seconds
- Aspirate 11mL of the new liquid “AB” into first 20mL syringe using the first mixing cannula
- Aspirate 11mL of chitosan (C) into the second syringe using the second mixing cannula
- Wait at least 15 minutes to allow AB to fully combine
Step 2: MIX GEL
- Remove the mixing cannulas. Then attach the syringe containing “C” to the syringe containing “AB” via the fluid dispensing connector.
- Mix “AB” with “C”, repeating at least 6 times.
- Wait at least 5 minutes to allow “AB” and “C” to set into the Gel.
Step 3: APPLY
- Split the gel evenly between the two syringes (10 ml of gel in each), then disconnect the syringes from the fluid dispensing connector.
- Use the malleable cannula to apply to sinus cavity at desired angles
Instructions For Use
Download the below PDF for detailed instructions on gel preparation.
Complications associated with not irrigating sinuses post-operatively.
It is imperative that the sinuses are irrigated on a regular basis from the first post-operative day. We advise using 240mls of saline douche, 4-6 times daily for the first 2 weeks after surgery. Failure to do so can result in the Gel forming into a crust.
If this occurs then careful debridement of the crust and removal should be performed by the surgeon at the 2 week post operative review, and saline irrigations commenced.
Maintain clear breathing passages.
If after application of the Gel there is too much Gel in the floor of the nose for the patient to breath through, careful suctioning along the floor of the nose is recommended to remove the excess Gel.
Control excessive bleeding before applying
At the end of the surgery, it is important that any active bleeding is controlled, as you would normally, prior to application of the Gel. Bipolar cautery is used to control active bleeding. This must be done before placement of the Gel, to avoid the risk that the Gel may be “washed” out of the sinuses by significant bleeding.
- Verify that the surgical field is not bleeding excessively. Control excessive bleeding, as you would normally, prior to application of the Chitogel Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Kit material.
- Inspect the packaging to be sure that it is intact and undamaged prior to use. Do not use the product if the packaging is opened or damaged.
- Do not reuse or resterilize Chitogel Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Kit.
- Inspect the Kit contents prior to use. Do not use the product if any of the sealed vials appear to have been opened or to have leaked, or if any of the components of the Kit appear to be damaged.
- Chitogel Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Kit contains chitosan from shellfish and should not be used in patients with known allergic responses to shellfish. Physicians should test for shellfish allergic response if status unknown, prior to use.
- The Chitogel Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Kit should not be used in surgery involving any of the following complications:— Any form of cerebrospinal fluid leak; or— Any form of ophthalmic complication, including but not limited to orbital hemorrhage or hematoma and exposure of the orbital tissues.
- In rare instances, the physiochemical condition associated with Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS), both with and without material application, may present a risk of toxic shock syndrome (TSS). Warning signs of TSS include: sudden fever (usually 39°C or more), vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting (or near fainting when standing up), and/or a rash that looks like a sunburn.
- Foreign body reaction may occur as with most surgical adjuvant treatments.
- Chitogel Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Kit must be used according to the instructions for use. Read instructions prior to use.